Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Live It Out

Isn't it funny how quickly our lives go by each day? I'm realizing the older I get, the more I look at the date and think, "Wow, when did life happen?" I can't believe that I'm going to be 20 in a week, and pretty soon I'm sure I won't believe it when I'm turning 30. (Okay... I suppose by pretty soon I mean in 10 years...) I recently went to see Metric live at the Showbox @ the Market in Seattle. While it was deemed (according to 107.7) the best concert of the year, it was the best concert of my life. I've always loved the band, but only in seeing them live do I truly understand what they are all about. Emily Haines, the lead singer, is a goddess of music and connects to her fans on what feels like an intimate level. If there is truly a celebrity that cares for their audience, it is Emily. Her life experiences and lessons learned are shared through her band, Metric, and her solo project, Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton. I encourage everyone to listen to what she has to say.

"Did they tell you, you should grow up
When you wanted to dream?
Did they warn you, better shape up
If you want to succeed?
I don't know about you, who are they talking to?
They're not talking to me" -Metric: [Twilight Galaxy]


That being said and my rave being done, I will move on! Life has taken a dramatic turn for me in the last 4 months or so. I'm now a Psychology major and have completed my Music minor at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA. I want everyone to know that even though my major has changed, my love and appreciation for music and music education has not. My life has taken a turn in a different direction, but I still plan on running my piano studio again after college. I also will continue performing and writing for the rest of my life (as it permits).

Amongst my change in my major, I have a new job! I work for Victoria's Secret at the South Hill Mall for Sales Support. (Although, a mistake allowed me to work the floor the other day and I LOVED it. I'm hoping to eventually move up to Sales Associate!) It seems like an absolutely great company to work for so far and I love the atmosphere there. Every day is about improvement and positive feedback. :)

Finally and most importantly, it is amazing to me how people enter and exit our lives. You never know who will truly be there for you 10 years from now. I've had a pretty incredible year both positively and negatively, but one thing is for sure: all of it has set me up for growth that never could have happened without the changes. Change can be completely unexpected, but in my opinion and experience the unexpected change is truly the most life altering and positive.

That's all for now! I'm going to try to actually keep this thing up!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh wow I didn't know you had changed your major! What made you decide?